Thursday, November 17, 2011

Back to Basics

I've been making art for a long time now. Well, proportionately long. I decided to devote myself to the study of art at age fourteen (because I wanted to work for Disney, and they all seemed to be really good at drawing.) I just turned twenty-seven, and have been feeling a bit drained lately. I've been focusing on production art and self-promotion, and as important as that stuff is, the practice of drawing is important, too. I've decided it's time to refresh my commitment to basic "good habit" drawing excercises, to practice intentionally, as I did when I was first learning to draw. So it's off to the coffeehouse and the zoo with sketchbook in hand!

Watercolors at Porto's Bakery in Burbank. The waiters started to give me dirty looks the third time I got up for another free cup of water.

Drama students putting on makeup. The assignment was "Trans-gender Makeup," so the girls were giving the guys eyeliner-application tips.

People waiting in line at Porto's. The apple strudel is worth the wait.

Hefty gals are fun to draw!

I've been trying to push my shapes lately. This lady had such fun hair.

Performers in the aisles at Cirque du Soleil's Iris.
Zoetrope skirt: why didn't I think of that?

More Cirque performers and their dutiful security guard.

Sleepy red pandas at the Sacramento zoo.

Mmm... giraffes love to nibble on wooden posts!

More from the Sacramento zoo. Giraffes are weird.

2 comments:

Nikolas Ilic said...

Hey Casey it was nice meeting you at CTN:) I love your character work !

Casey Robin Neal said...

Hi Nikolas! Sorry, I just got this comment just now. I'm very new to blogging. It was great meeting you at CTN, too. Likewise, I'm a big fan of your work. Thanks for checking out my blog!